The Guild’s next general meeting will be on February 15th at the shop of Owain Harris, 63 Nottingham Rd, Deerfield, NH. Our featured speaker will be NH Furniture Master Richard Oedel.
Please note that Richard's presentation will be before lunch—10am-12pm.
- 9:00- 9:30 Coffee and Social
- 9:30-10:00 Subgroup updates from Hand Tools, Period Furniture, BIG, Windsor Chairs Making, Luthiers, Boat Builders, GSWT for a Business, Woodworking as a business and Small. Periodical updates: Old Saw, Journal and Touchups.
- 10:00-12:00 Featured Speaker: Richard Oedel will present and demonstration. “Composites – an intro to using carbon fiber, Kevlar, and other fibers in your work”. This presentation will show methods and ideas how composites might be used along with a resource list of vendors and materials.
- 12:00-12:45 Lunch Break
- 12:45- 1:00 Brief Business meeting- Treasurer’s report, Membership report, Guild updates and announcements
- 1:00-3:00 Two concurrent demonstration rotations. Bill Taylor will be demonstrating the very popular “building a simple box” session showing the 6 panel box process. Harvey Best will be demonstrating “Polishing out Finishes” which is one of the most checked out DVD in our library
Coming from an engineering and business background, the development and construction of form has always fascinated Richard. And living in Salem Massachusetts for 22 years has instilled in him an appreciation and respect for the furnituremakers of the 17th and 18th centuries, who lived and worked only steps from his front door. Now living in Boston, home in the 1700s to the Seymours and other master furnituremakers. Some of the finest furniture in America was crafted here. And still is.