The New England Association of Woodworking Teachers (NEAWT) was founded in 2001 to serve woodworking teachers and programs through an association of peers. The Association is currently comprised of approximately eighty teachers and fifteen industry associates.
Membership is open to any individual interested in woodworking education. Individuals interested in joining this association should contact the Guild of New Hampshire Woodworkers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEAWT is affiliated with the Guild of NH Woodworkers.
NEAWT is committed to assisting our members to maintain and improve woodworking programs in New England. Since its inception, the group has identified the following aspirations.
- The group will meet bi-annually. These meetings are comprised of a business meeting, open discussion and a presentation. Presentations have included carving, finishing, boat building, project ideas, knife making, veneer and marketing our programs. Our next meeting is April 9th, 2011 in Salem , NH.
- The group will improve communications within our membership related to curriculum, resources, professional development, student opportunities and employment opportunities.
- The group will establish Teacher and Program of the Year awards to be presented annually.
NEAWT represents an assortment of middle school, junior high school, high school, college and adult education woodworking programs in Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and Massachusetts. Although individual programs each provide unique opportunities, the majority of the programs fulfill one or more of the following academic functions.
- Exploratory centered programs provide students with the opportunity to work with and understand wood as a renewable resource with a large variety of applications.
- Enrichment centered programs provide students with the opportunity to work with wood in traditional and creative applications.
- Employment centered programs assist students in preparing for post-secondary opportunities in wood related industries, education and training.